Thursday, March 13, 2014

Bless What Eludes My Grasp

Lord, so many things skitter through my mind,
and I give chase to gather them
    and hold them up in a bunch to you,
but they go this way and that
    while I go that way and this...
So, gather me up instead

and bless what eludes my grasp but not yours:
    trees and bees, fireflies and butterflies,
    roses and barbecues, and people...
Lord, the people...bless the people:
    birthday people,
        giving birth people,
            being born people;
    confirmed people,

 dying people,
        dead people;
    hostaged people,
        banged up people,
            held down people;

    leader people,
        lonely people,
            limping people;
    hungry people,
        surfeited people,
            indifferent people;
        first world people,
             second world people,
                 third world people;
        one world people,
            your people,
                all people.
Bless them, Lord.
Bless what eludes my grasp but not yours.

(~ Guerrillas of Grace: Prayers for the Battle)

No comments: