Sunday, July 24, 2016

Financial Fitness



I love Dave Ramsey and You Need A Budget. Dave Ramsey is a constant source of inspiration for me. I love when he shares stories on facebook about families getting rid of hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt. I get goosebumps. I feel like, we can do this! Another friend introduced me to YNAB for budgeting. It's been really hard, I still suck SO BAD. At least I have a tool that I like.




Taking honest stock.
We owe someone (lots of someone's) about $55,000, not including our house.
I'm willing to take out the car payment and the school loans for the sake of not being totally overwhelmed, so let's say we owe $13,000 somewhat urgently. It's half credit card debt, a quarter unpaid taxes, and a quarter medical bills. Ugh.

I have a plan.
Goal #1, We are going to use some of J.'s severance to pay off those medical bills. Pesky little things, they gotta go.

Goal #2, We run a guest house and have been nonchalantly spending that money. We need to put it to better use. I think we can easily pay off those outstanding taxes by the end of the year (maybe faster?!).

Goal #3, The credit card. I have to be honest, I feel the most demoralized by this. It's always there. I have struggled for 2 years to pay it off and it always comes back. I'm strongly considering cutting them up. We need a hard reset. Any tips? Until then we'll keep chipping away; however, pointless it feels.

Having money for emergencies and to put towards retirement is worth the work!
Now let's do this!

No comments: