Saturday, December 19, 2009

a sad way to learn marital truth

I get The Week, every week. Great little gem, if you're into the news. There is a section called "Gossip" its three little blurbs about various gossip items. One caught my attention today.

"Ashley Dupre, the call girl whose trysts with Eliot Spitzer lead to the New York governor's resignation, returned to the tabloids this week, this time as a sex columnist for the New York Post. In her debut column, Dupre, 24, dishes advice on how to spot signs that your husband is cheating. "Guys are easy to please and I don't mean just sexually," she tells a worried wife. "Ask your self, when was the last time you did something to make your husband feel loved, special, and appreciated...and if you can't remember, then that's your sign right there."

First off, what great advice! It seems that so often we get married or enter into long-term committed relationships and forget to be loving and respectful to each other. Several months ago, my husband and I read "Love and Respect" with some friends, and while overall the book didn't thrill me, it did generat some great conversations between us. I remember one night in particular where my husband said that it meant so much to him when I remember the little things, that he doesn't like certain foods, or when I keep his preferences in mind. Its so easy to be me focused and not remember to think of him and make sure he feels "loved, special, and appreciated."

So Thanks Ashley, for the good advice! (Although I do find it sad that it takes a call girl to remind us all of the simple truth of loving our husbands.)

No comments: