Thursday, December 31, 2009

Thoughts on the year ahead...

We are on the cusp of a new year; tonight will ring in the start of a new year!! The paper's are abuzz with forecasts for the financial markets, job markets, and opportunities in the new year (Will emerging markets keep gaining; Moving past Madoff; Futures pare gains on Jobless Claims). The buzz has me thinking about my life; what do I want out of 2010?

This summer I was having an existential crisis. Where was my life going, what was I doing, did I care about anything, etc. One day I jotted down a few thoughts about myself and things I am committed to...
I am called to the work place
I am called to non-Christians
I am called to be a light in darkness
I am called to serve

So in 2010, my career is on the list. I've been working hard to grow at work and to move up the corporate ladder, so to speak. I have a wonderful boss and we've spent the last year chatting about growth and development. I've applied for 3 jobs in the past few months and have an interview next week; BUT I've been talking to another Senior Director about an AMAZING position which will open up in the next few months. It would be a huge challenge, with amazing potential. So, I'm thinking, praying, working diligently asking for wisdom as I continue to grow at work.

An old college acquaintance of mine wrote on her blog yesterday, "I really want to be a more peaceful person. Enjoying life in the moment and not trying to rush things along. I’m going to spend the year meditating on Philippians 4:4-9. I want to have a gentle spirit. I want to be anxious for nothing. I want to think about things that are true, pure and lovely. And oh, to have the peace of God that surpasses all understanding. Peace, peace, beautiful peace. I crave it." I can totally relate to this!! It is also what I think of when I think of our non-Christian friends. So many of them want peace and don't have it. I hope that 2010 is a year of peace in my heart, trusting God more deeply and in that way being an arrow pointing people back to Him.

My husband is a semi-professional athlete. So we live a bit of a different life, one that revolves around training schedules, weekends away from home, and being contentious about what we eat. I'm not always good at that, I like to eat out and recently have gotten into baking cookies for the holidays. We've made it a goal to eat out less in 2010. We're cutting back to once a week and eating in the other 6. I think this could be fun!! If you have any favorite recipes send them our way!!

Along those same lines, I want to be more fit in 2010. I've always considered myself a fit person, but I got a "Wii Fit" for Christmas and it says I am 33 years old!! AND I should bring my BMI down to 22 instead of 23. That means, according to my new trainer, that I should loose 5 pounds. That sounds impossible to me! I haven't weighed that little since high school. BUT I'm going to try; be a bit more conscious about what I eat and stay diligent with my running and exercising. I also have 2 races I want to run this spring the Parkway Classic in April and the Annapolis 10 miler in August! Should be a great year!!

In closing I'd like to steal a quote from my friend Leah "Silly 2009 life plans, when will you realize you have little say over what really happens?" Only time will tell what actually happens in 2010!

No comments: