Friday, January 29, 2010

Gayle Haggard: Good-Hearted Woman, in Love With a Good-Tryin' Man

Politics Daily did an article on a recent appearance by the Haggards' on Oprah. (click here for the full story)Mrs. Haggard has just written a book – "Why I Stayed: The Choices I Made in my Darkest Hour" – explaining why she thinks her marriage can be saved. This it seems was the premise for the interview, but it went further, I think to examining true love and marriage in a Christian relationship. One where there is forgivness, and humility, and the Spirit is present.

Oprah started out by saying she had had an epiphany before the show – she would not judge. It is possible, she realized, to feel the way Mrs. Haggard does. "My conclusion is, after reading this [book], is that you really, really love this man in a way that I'm sure a lot of other people watching would understand," Oprah told her. "It's just that I don't know a love like this."

Mrs. Haggard's answer: yes, she deeply loves her husband and she feels "as though the betrayal had the potential to lead us toward greater health in our marriage."

Later in the interview Ted told Oprah: "She loves me and that's an incredible thing. I mean this woman is deeply . . . she's infatuated with me. She loves me. And I am so grateful. I think it's an incredible thing for a woman to love a man the way she loves me. "

What an incredible testimony.

No comments: