Friday, March 30, 2012

Weekly Reading List [3.30.12]

1. NIGER'S COMPLICATED HUNGER CRISIS - We're all aware of the hunger crisis in Somalia earlier this year. While that seems to have improved marginally, it seems another famine is just around the corner.

2. SO MUCH FOR U.S. FOOD ASSISTANCE TO NORTH KOREA & BORN IN THE GULAG - I was saddened to hear that the U.S. is pulling its food drop to North Korea. I understand, it's complicated. And it sounds like the "lead day" agreement was far from a solid agreement to begin with. Their suffering, still pains me. Also, the second article is about a young man who grew up in one of North Korea's notorious labor camps. I very eye opening look into what that kind of oppression and abuse can do to a man. [beware, it is graphic to read].

3. THE TANK DETOURNED - I love the creativity in this article. The authors give a brief history of the tank (especially in Syria) and then explore what it might be like if we repurposed the tank as...an ambulance. Something that saves, rather than something that kills. I LOVE IT!

4. MINIMALISSIMO - Over the past year, I've been exposed to design. Maybe inundated is a better word. I work for a design company, and am always getting emails with artistis, styles, the latest technology device or new packaging design. Because of this, I've started to notice I prefer certain styles to others. I'm a bit of a minimalist. I like things with lots of white space, simple elegant design, less is more. This blog has some great amazing minimalist design ideas, applied to everything from homes, to dishes, etc.

5. PERPETUAL OCEAN - A friend shared this video with me, and I love it! If I could blow it up on my computer and just let it play, I would. Its so interesting to watch the ocean currents swirl around and mix with other currents.

No comments: